Study visas

Version française

  Student Visa and Student Guardian Visa



Australia is a very popular destination for overseas students wanting to obtain quality education in top international universities and colleges.

In Australia, student visas are regulated by the (Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 Cth) the (ESOS Act).

Under this Act, overseas students can only study at Australian institutions that are accredited by the Australian government. These tertiary institutions are listed on a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS):

Therefore, when applying for a student visa, you must ensure that your chosen course has a CRICOS Code.

1 -Student Visa (Subclass 500)

Currently, there is only one subclass of student visa, namely the subclass 500 visa.

In order to validly apply, and for the visa to granted, certain conditions must be met:

  • Application must be made online from overseas or in Australia.
  • Must be enrolled full-time in a ‘registered course’.
  • You need to have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the university/college.
  • Must be a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE).
  • Must have private health insurance.
  • Generally, students must demonstrate they have at least competent English proficiency level to undertake the proposed course.
  • Must prove financial capacity to support oneself during the proposed length of study.

2 – Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

This visa is for a person who wants to accompany a student visa holder who is less than 18 years old to Australia.

In order to be eligible for this visa, certain criteria must be met:

  • The student visa holder must be under 18 years of age.
  • Be the student’s parent, legal guardian or relative.
  • Have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay.
  • Be at least 21 years of age.